Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nov. 1: And We're Off (Our Rockers)!!

First, a disclaimer: I can't be held responsible for any typos in today's post. For one thing, I'm violently sleep deprived (see below). For another, I have 11 pounds of cat sitting on my arm right now, which makes typing unbelievably hard.

So. November 1. D-Day. Go time. Zero Hour. Etc.

I spent the day stacking and then re-stacking Christmas cards on tables at work. This somewhat tedious task was nicely broken up by the occasional bodily injury courtesy of our supply dumbwaiter, the door of which I kept whacking my head against when I went to fetch more Christmas cards to stack.

Then I went to class, where I panicked about the state of my final project (due in TWO WEEKS) and made plans with my partner to go out and do some field reporting  the next day (today).

Then--THEN!--at almost 10.30pm, I came home, and my day got good and started. Because NaNoWriMo 2011 was starting in around an hour and a half. I was STOKED. And freaking out. I got on gchat to share motivational speeches with Gia, but we spent most of the time leading up to 12am alternately going "WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO WRITE?!" and "Oh my god I'm too old to be up this late."

Nevertheless, 12am rolled in and the words began rolling out. They weren't pretty words--I misspelled a billion of them, if the red squiggles all over my document are any indication--but they were words that started the existence of characters and the vague outlines of a plot. For now, that will do.

It's my hope to blog at least once each day for the month of November. I attempted this last year, with less than spectacular results, but hopefully I'll have more success this year. I will even include proper author-y posts, like discussions over ideal writing music! And word processing programs! And snacks!

For now, though, I need to find a new sleeping place for my cat, because I need to get back to my novel.

Happy Nano 2011 everyone! Good luck and happy writing!

1 comment: