Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nov. 9: Writing and Music

Word Count: 17367 and counting


One of my favorite parts of  getting ready to start Nanowrimo each year is putting together my "Writing Playlist", my collection of songs which effectively become the soundtrack to my novel. I have a few solid favorites that make each yearly rotation (Hello once again Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings), but depending on the story, there are variations. If I have no idea where the plot is going, I tend to load the list with all of my bombastic favorites: Nightwish, Serenity, Globus, Therion, and so on. If it has a heavy riff and operatic/symphonic influences, I will put it on there. Something about the driving pace of operatic metal really gets the ideas pumping through the brain.

Other times, the story has a soundtrack even before you start writing the first chapter. Last year's Nanowrimo was written almost exclusively with the new Alice in Wonderland soundtrack, with a smattering of Lacuna Coil and Enya.

This year, though. This year.

Today, my favorite band of all time, Nightwish, came out with the single to their new album. And, um, I don't think I need any other songs. I could just listen to this on repeat and it would capture just about every aspect of my current work in progress.


You can check out the video, and the band, here and here

See if you can figure out what  my story is about ;)

So what do you listen to when you write? Do you have a set list of favorites for every project, or does it vary depending on the plot/characters/other factors? Do you ever find that one song that just screams "MY STORY"?

As always, good luck and keep writing guys!


~Katherine



Disclaimer: I do not own, nor am I making any money off of this YouTube video. It's content was released by Nightwish on their Facebook page. I'm just posting it here (with attribution back to the band) for the purpose of this blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment