Thursday, November 17, 2011

Nov. 17: There is Such a Thing As Too Much Free Time (Or: HOW Have I only written 1k today??)

Word Count: 31544 and counting

Okay, so it's actually 1244 words, and I'm still writing for a bit longer, but seriously! Today was my day off, I was hoping to get in at least 3 or 4k!

Does anyone else have this problem? We look forward to those free days in our hectic schedules, dreaming of sitting down just as the sun is peeking over the horizon, and pounding out several thousand brilliant words with the luxury of time on our side....and then its 9pm and you realize you've basically frittered the ENTIRE DAY AWAY?!

So frustrating.

That was my day today. After a full week of work, I was really looking forward to getting a lot done today. Pfft. This is the same thing I said the day before an exam during undergrad: "I am going to study all day!" Says I.

"Oh look at the laundry that needs to be done/floors that need to be cleaned/other random things that need to be done!" Says my good friend Procrastination.

Today's procrastination came first in the form of laundry. I figured I'd better do it, as the husband comes home tomorrow and will need to do even more laundry over the weekend. So that went into the washer, and then I puttered around cleaning the kitchen until its cycle was done so I could put it in the dryer.

Then: oh, we need milk. And cereal. And hell, toothpaste. Better go to the grocery store! And WTF is wrong with my hair, better get that overdue trim while I'm out. I'm not going to get another free day for a while and my hair needs to be neat before Thanksgiving!

One hour later, hairs cut and groceries bought, I went to get the laundry out of the dryer and lo! THE DRYER TORE HOLES IN HALF THE LOAD.

So then I spent another half hour on the phone with the dryer people, filing a claim on the clothes. In the meantime, the husband got on MSN in a tizzy because of a credit card thing. So I called the bank to sort that out for him. Then, while the phone was out, I remembered oh! I was going to make a dinner reservation for Saturday, wasn't I?

*sigh*

It seems the more free time I have, the less I get done on my story! Does anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, I must get up early for work tomorrow, and I want to try to make up a bit of lost ground before crashing for the night, so good luck to everyone and keep writing!

~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment